Kitchen fire damage. Facts you need to know.
Even after a kitchen fire has been extinguished, the damage continues with the after-effects of smoke, ash, soot and water damage. Trying to clean up the damage yourself—vacuuming, wiping down the walls, handling fabrics, or any other attempt at cleaning—can put you at risk of inhaling the dangerous chemicals present in soot and ash. And, it can also cause further damage to your property.
Should a fire occur in your kitchen, professional fire restoration services are necessary to restore your home to a healthy condition.
Primary concerns after a kitchen fire:
Smoke and soot damage
If smoke, soot and ash are not removed from the fire site quickly, they will continue to cause damage and corrosion to surfaces in your kitchen including fabrics, metals, walls, ceilings, and even tiles. It’s important to begin professional after-fire clean up as soon as possible.
Fire and smoke odour damage
Smoke and ash particles continue to be airborne and can cause permeating odours to remain in your home for weeks or even months after the fire is extinguished. Advanced deodorization tools such as ozone and other professional treatments can effectively eliminate odour from your home after a fire, so you can breathe easy again.
Water damage from fire-fighting
Water used to put out the fire can be devastating to your kitchen floors, walls, furnishings and other possessions. If not taken care of immediately, the excess water in your home can also cause extensive damage to the structure of your home, and quickly lead to the growth of hazardous mold.
At ServiceMaster Restore of Sault Ste. Marie, we have the experience, resources and expertise to restore your kitchen after a fire. We provide professional services for cleaning and removal of smoke, soot, ash, odours and excess water caused by fire-fighting, before further damage occurs.
ServiceMaster Restore of Sault Ste. Marie has been Restoring Peace of Mind® by providing professional fire and smoke damage restoration to homeowners. We guide you through the process every step of the way. Day or night, we are available to take your call 24/7, every day of the year. Our fire damage restoration experts work to get the job done right and stay by your side until you are satisfied with the results.
When the unforeseen happens, call the fire and smoke damage professionals at ServiceMaster Restore of Sault Ste. Marie right away.
FIRE AND SMOKE DAMAGE REPAIR
GET IMMEDIATE HELP NOW!
Putting Out Cooking Fires
The biggest mistake people make with most kitchen fires is to try and put them out with water. The majority of cooking fires involve either grease/oil or electrical appliances, and adding water will only make these types of fires worse. Instead, you want to deprive the fire of oxygen by smothering it.
Turn off the heat source as quickly as possible, but only if you can do so safely. Then, depending on the situation, and only if there is time, do one or all of the following:
But remember only consider these steps if you can do so safely.
- Smother the fire. Try to carefully slide a lid or baking sheet over the fire or dump a box of baking soda on top, both of which will deprive the fire of oxygen and, hopefully, put it out.
- Use a properly rated fire extinguisher. Stand eight to 10 feet away and PASS (Pull the pin, Aim at the base of the fire, Squeeze the trigger, and Sweep side to side).
- Escape and call 911. If the fire is out of your control, it's time to run and call 911. Make sure to close all doors behind you as you leave. Do not try to salvage any belongings. Saving your life and that of your family is more important.
- Keep the oven closed. An oven is a contained space, so keep the door closed and wait for the fire to burn itself out in there. Opening the oven door to check on it is the worst thing to do.
- If the fire escapes, try baking soda or a fire extinguisher. If the fire gets outside of the oven, you can try to put those flames out with baking soda and/or a fire extinguisher.
- Escape and call 911. Once again, if the fire is beyond what you can safely manage, it's time to run and call 911. Make sure to close all doors behind you as you leave. Do not try to salvage any belongings. Saving your life and that of your family is more important.
FIRE AND SMOKE DAMAGE REPAIR FOR:
Sault Ste. Marie, Blind River, St. Joseph Island, Thessalon, Wawa